The Yoga of Sacred Activism
The Sanskrit word yoga means “yoking together” or “union” in the ancient Hindu religion. The ultimate goal of yoga is samadhi (non-duality) and moksha (liberation); however, individual liberation is not enough …Mahatma Gandhi believed – as does The Oracle Institute – that Enlightenment is achieved only through sarvodaya which means sacred service for the benefit of All.
Five Traditional Paths of Yogic Service
These are the five traditional branches of yoga, each of which is a powerful tool to gain self-mastery and spiritual freedom:
|Hatha Yoga:||Path of bodily control and sensory detachment
Focus is on the physical body through proper diet, asanas (postures), pranayama (breath control), and mudras (ritual gestures)
|Raja Yoga:||Path of the pure and tranquil mind
Focus is on balance through meditation, japa (chanting of mantras), kriyas (advanced meditation), and yama (ethical practices)
|Bhakti Yoga:||Path of devotion, faith, and the constant remembrance of God
Focus is on love, union, and service to the Divine
|Karma Yoga:||Path of service without expectation or attachment to the results of the work
Focus is on action and selfless work
|Jnana Yoga:||Path of wisdom which leads to absolute truth and unobstructed awareness
Focus is on intellect, knowledge, and understanding
Five Paths of Perfection in the Valley of light
Based on these classic yogic practices, Oracle has created five Paths of Perfection for the Valley of Light community.
Like the traditional yogic disciplines, the Paths of Perfection involve physical, mental, and spiritual challenges that assist community members in elevating their body, mind, and spirit.
All members select a Path when they join the Valley of Light, and each Path has a course of study and is responsible for certain elements within the community. For example:
- Those who select Path of the Peacemaker help guide our Spirituality School
- Those who choose Path of the Scientist keep our computers and websites working (we love geeks!).
- Those who pick Path of the Native have primary responsibility for the community gardens and livestock.
- Those who choose Path of the Artisan build, maintain, and beautify the common areas.
- And those who select Path of the Oracle maintain our sacred spaces and lead ceremonies and gatherings at Oracle Temple.
For more information about the Valley of Light community, please contact: