Center for Progressive Activism
MTV film crew on location at the Peace Pentagon
We are seeking college-age interns to help build a Center for Progressive Activism at the Peace Pentagon. Interns will be part of a dedicated team of community organizers, and they will work under the supervision of Laura George, Executive Director of The Oracle Institute, and Eric Stetson, Chair of the Grayson County Democratic Party and Executive Director of the People’s Currency Foundation.
Ideal candidates are college students majoring in: philosophy, sociology, political science, economics, religion, media arts, business, or pre-law. Ideal condidates also possess: strong communication and writing skills, proficiency with social media and basic computer applications, and a keen interest in current events and cultural trends. Interns will receive first-hand experience working in a rural, culturally-conservative, and economically struggling Appalachian county – those who have been “left behind” and often taken for granted by federal and state representatives.
Interns will receive free housing at Oracle Campus and have the opportunity to experience life in a micro-commmunity dedicated to progressive, pluralistic, and peace-centered values. Each intern will be expected to work 20 hours per week on the tasks described below, plus 5 hours per week on routine maintenance around the campus (gardening, lawn mowing, etc.).
Two Internships Available
Political Activism through the Pentagon HUB
- Work with Laura George, founder of the Oracle Institute, and leading officers and activists in the Grayson County Democratic Party.
- Study the social and economic factors that led to the rise of Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, and anti-establishment political movements around the world.
- Brainstorm on how to make government work for “We the People.”
- Learn about conditions of life and communities in southern Appalachia.
- Receive training in effective political messaging to engage rural and small-town voters, religious voters, and the working class.
- Canvas neighborhoods to gather data for progressive organizations and causes.
- Help to get young people in Grayson County engaged in our local political process.
- Interface with local progressive groups and participate in regional activism events.
- Create and implement progressive social strategies at the local, state, national, and international levels.
- Work with Peace Pentagon HUB staff on the HUB website, blogs, social media, and marketing materials.
- Help with Oracle conferences and events.
- Kayak the New River and enjoy the local music & culture festivals!
Economic Activism with the People’s Currency Foundation
- Work with Eric Stetson, founder of Manna, the leading socially responsible blockchain-based currency.
- Heard of Bitcoin? Manna uses the same technology, but is distributed by the nonprofit People’s Currency Foundation as a Universal Basic Income based on egalitarian economic principles.
- Study the changing economic and technological realities of the 21st Century – such as globalization and automation – that are causing the gap between rich and poor to worsen
- Study the Universal Basic Income movement, from its inception in the 1970s as a proposed alternative to bureaucratic social welfare programs, to its blossoming support among progressives today, especially in Canada and Europe.
- Work with the Manna community organizing team to establish or help lead Manna meetups in communities across southwestern Virginia, western North Carolina, and eastern Tennessee, such as at Virginia Tech and other universities, and in the cities of Roanoke, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte, Asheville, Knoxville, and more ($50/month travel stipend provided).
- Work with the Manna social media team or artistic team (depending on your skills and interest) to help make Manna a viral, global movement for all people, especially economically disadvantaged young people.
For more information about Internship Programs at the Peace Pentagon and to receive an application, please contact: