Trusting Doubt: A Former Evangelical Looks at Old Beliefs in a New Light
Is Doubt a Sign of Weak Faith?
Or is Doubt a sacred guardian of truth? Most Christians earnestly strive to serve God and follow the compassionate ministry of Christ. But a belief that the Bible is literally true can put them in the odd position of defending falsehood, bigotry, and even violence. This book examines a variant of Christianity that demands absolute loyalty from believers and can leave their moral intuitions shattered. It offers former fundamentalists the information they need to release old beliefs and reclaim a deep, vigorous process of spiritual inquiry.
Do you have Doubts about some bible teachings?
Psychologist Valerie Tarico was raised in a fundamentalist family and educated at Wheaton College, home of the Billy Graham Center for Evangelicalism. After straining to keep her beliefs intact, Tarico conceded that she found the task morally and intellectually impossible. Like her, many Christians today realize that blind or forced faith, in the midst of doubt, is not a path to God or goodness.
Discover Why Constructive Curiosity Is Essential to Spiritual Growth.
This book will help everyone who is seeking a deeper understanding of Christianity:
- If you sense that some dogma may be morally flawed but can’t articulate why …
- If you want a contemporary framework to embrace the wisdom in the Bible …
- If you are alarmed by the Religious Right and want to know what drives them …
- If you yearn for the freedom to refine your own intellectual or spiritual quest …
- Then trust doubt to lead you toward a fuller exploration of Truth, Love, and Light.
“Trusting Doubt is a humble and sincere exploration of the Christian faith. Powerful, well-researched, and good-hearted, this is the finest disputation of evangelical Christianity I have ever read.” – Paul Constant, Columnist for The Stranger
“I've not bonded with a book like this since I read Constantine's Sword in 2005!” – Mikey Weinstein, Director of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation and author of With God on Our Side
“Tarico has seen more of the relevant issues and contributed more novelty to the debate than some of the better known critics. Devastatingly good – and this from a very committed Christian.” – Ken Himma, Ph.D., Department of Philosophy at Seattle Pacific University
- Trusting Doubt:
- A Former Evangelical Looks at Old Beliefs in a New Light
- © 2010 Valerie Tarico, Ph.D.
- ISBN: 978-0-9773929-33
- 6 x 9 paperback • 280 pages • appendix • $17.95
- e-Book • PDF • MOBI Kindle • EPUB • $9.99
- Release date: October 2010
- Publisher: The Oracle Institute Press
- Distributor: Lightning Source